In a Wednesday interview with Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Scott Pruitt, Fox News' Ed Henry pulled no punches. TALKING POINTS
- Straight to the point. Henry didn't dance around: "Why did you accept $50 a night to rent a condo from the wife of a Washington lobbyist?"
- Pruitt pleaded innocence. "This is the actual rate," he maintained. "This was like an Airbnb situation."
- Henry didn't bite. Cutting Pruitt off, Henry called foul: "I've never heard of an apartment like that. I've lived in Washington for twenty-five years."
- Corporate ties. Henry pointed out that the lobbyist Pruitt rented from works with Exxon Mobile. "Does Exxon mobile have business before you?!" he demanded of an unresponsive Pruitt.
- An un-drained swamp. "Is draining the swamp renting an apartment from the wife of a Washington lobbyist?”
- Backed into a corner. Henry's refusal to let Pruitt escape tied up the EPA chief's tongue. His defense? “I don’t think that that’s even remotely fair to ask that question.”
- A failure to communicate. The back-and-forth continued with Henry persistently repeating down-to-it questions - "You go to Morocco [on taxpayers' money]... how much did it cost?!" Pruitt, for his part, scrambled to answer diplomatically: "The question, Ed, is this - what was the business we were conducting there?"
- Like a deer in headlights. On the topic of his two staffers getting raises despite White House opposition, Pruitt maintained it was done by someone on his staff - not him - though he couldn't say who.
- And the badgering continued. "You don’t know? You run the agency! You don’t know who did it?” Henry wasn't having any of it.
- Hints of nepotism. Henry wasn't shy in pointing out: "Both of these staffers who got these large pay raises are friends of yours."
Now, not only does he seem to have fallen from grace in Fox News, but rumors abound that Trump may be a hair away from dumping Pruitt altogether.
Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders didn't do much to dispel the rumors in her Wednesday briefing: "